A Cullompton timeline

901

King Alfred’s will

King Alfred died leaving the manor of Columtune to his son.

1066

Norman conquest

1068

Battle Abbey gets Cullompton Church

Saint Andrew’s Church and glebe given to Battle Abbey

1200s

Earls of Devon

The manor of Cullompton was granted to the Earls of Cullompton.

1215

Magna Carta

1278

Market and Fair granted

A market and fair were granted [by King John -either date or monarch is wrong. J died in 1216]. The manor of Cullompton was donated to Buckland Abbey by Countess Amica of Devon.

1365

Town watercourse

The town was granted a supply of water by the Abbot of Buckland. It flowed from Coombe farm via Shortlands to the town centre.

1430

Nave and Aisle of Saint Andrew’s church built

1470

Chancel and clearstory of Saint Andrew’s built

1476

First printed book in English

[not sure this is correct – first in English was printed in Bruges in 1473. Caxton moved to England in 1476, and printed the canterbury tales in that year, so it’s the first book printed in England perhaps?]

1522

Almshouses donated

John Trott died and in his will left money to create the Alms houses in Cullompton

1526

John Lane’s aisle

John Lane, a wealth cloth merchant left money in his will to build an extra aisle in Saint Andrew’s church which can still be seen today. It was completed about 1529.

1530s

Dissolution of the monasteries

Under King Henry VIII,  monasteries in England, Wales and Ireland were disbanded. He appropriated their income and took their assets. A large proportion of the land in the parish of Cullompton changed hands as a result of this.

1540s

Tower of St Andrew’s church completed

1565

Humphry Paris buys the Walronds

Humphry Paris an importing merchant purchased the property now called the Walronds (it was not known by this name until much later)

1602

Fire at The Walronds

A fire destroyed the Walronds and several neighbouring properties includingc

1603

Walronds, Manor house and Merchant’s House rebuilt

1609

Two fulling mills at Kingsmill

Two fulling mills (used in cloth manufacture) at Kingsmill until 1664

1642-1651

English Civil war

War between the Royalists led by King Charles I and Parliament, led by Oliver Cromwell. In 1645 General Fairfax drove Lord Millar out of Cullompton.

1663

George Fox preaches in the town

George Fox, A Quaker preaches in the town

1670

Quaker meeting house built at Spicelands

Spicelands is near Uffculme and there is still a meeting house there

1698

Dissenters Meeting House built

A meeting house for dissenters was built at Pound Square. Now the Unitarian Chapel.

1700

3 double mills in Cullompton

A lease for six mills in the unusual formation of 3 double mills at Higher, Middle and Lower Mills

1716

Public meeting to repair the watercourse

1725

Fire in church tower

1738

Cloth riots in Tiverton

People from Cullompton joined in. Cullompton workhouse built

1739

Sergemakers William Bidwell and John Fowler worked at the Walronds

1748

John Wesley Preached at Cullompton

This was the first of 22 visits he made to the town, the last was in 1789.

1764

First Wesleyian Chapel built

1777

120 people in Cullompton Workhouse

Also 50 in uffculem, 60 in Silverton

1791

Serge-makers association

Thomas Fox wrote to Nehemiah Upcott re formation of a serge-maker association

1792

Bradfield Mill built

Built by Brown and Fowler

1795

Lease for Nordon Mill

Lease from HRH Prince of Wales to William Upcott for Nordon Mill, Bradninch.

1797

Coldharbour Mill

Thomas Fox purcahsed land, water and grist mill at Uffculme to build Coldharbour Mill.

1798

Hand weaving in Cullompton workhouse

1801

William Upcott inherited Shortlands

Joghn Selwood was a Cullompton Tanner at this time

1816

William Upcott employed weavers

William Upcott employed out of-work-weavers and spinners from Tiverton and started trade with Opporto

1821

Waterwheel at Coldbharbour constructed

1822

Fire destroyed Bradfield Mill

1830-5

Chartist Meeting in Cullompton and Tiverton

1831

Middle Mill

William Upcott used Middle Mill and factory for wollen manufacture. Also built reservoir near Shortlands. Fire at Selwood’s Tannery

1833

National School

First National School in Town. At Gravel Walk, near the church.

1834/5

Bradfield Mill owners bankrupt.

The owners were Brown, Fowler and Davy

1835

Cullompton workhouse closed

There was a change in the poor law system at this time

1839

Great Fire

The great fire of Cullompton destroyed 264 houses.

1840

William Upcott unsuccessfully prosecuted workers for striking

Report to House of Lords on hand loom weavers

1847

William Upcott died

Business passed to sons William and JS Upcott. Mob of women and children attacked the Selwood’s house in Pound Square for speculating in corn.

1849

Restoration of Saint Andrew’s Church

1850

Lower Mills to let

A grist, flour and flock mill

1859

St Andrew’s Wagon roof reclaimed and gilded

1865

Steam power introduced at Coldharbour Mill

1867

Fire at Selwood’s Tannery

1870

Upcotts sell mills at Cullompton, Culmstock and and Bradfield

1871

Court Tannery established

At Court Farm. Existed until 1906.

1872

Church of England School built

1874

Workers ask Fox Bros. to reopen Yarn Mill

Workers at Culmstock ask Fox Brothers to reopen the yarn mill.

1876

Fox’s Cullompton factory opens

Also date of opening of the Culm Valley Light Railway to Hemyock

1910

The Weavers set up

The Cullompton Weavers were set up in the stable at Heyford House

1912

Unitarian Chapel built on site of dissenters meeting house

1919

Cullompton lighted with gas

1958

Fire at the Tannery puts 100 men out of work

1960

Fox’s Cullompton Factory closes

1963

Culmstock mill closed

1975

Culm Valley Railway closed

1977

Fox Brothers factory at Coldharbour closed

1982


Coldharbour Mill reopens as a working wool museum

2011

The Hayridge and the Community Centre opened to the public

2014

The Walronds reopens after a major restoration