Cullompton has a had a great many pubs through its history but most are no longer pubs.
|Admirals Hawke and Blakeney, Exeter Hill
|The full name was originally The Admirals Hawke and Blakeney, it was on the site of what is now The Pony & Trap. Earliest reference found 1722, latest record found 1853, located next door to the Quaker Meeting House.
|Situated at 51- 53 Fore Street in what is now Mimi Hair Salon and Golden Eagle Chinese Take-away: The Licence was revoked in 1903. Earliest record found 1844.
|Bell Inn (new), Exeter Road
|Earliest reference we have found is in the Pigot’s Trade Directory 1822/23 where it is listed as the “New” Bell Inn. It is also referred to as the New Bell Inn in a newpaper article dated 8 April 1843 in the Western Times.
|Bell Inn (old)by Church?
|Near the Church, listed in 1830 but by 1856 only the New Bell Inn is listed.
|Bishops Blaize, Fore Street
|Named after the patron saint of woolcombers and renamed The Market House Inn when the cattle market moved to that part of the town.
|In Murray T Foster’s History of Cullompton he states that the fire of 1839 started at the Boot Inn, kept by William Walters, just opposite the end of New Street’, we have found no evidence to support this statement but in 1858 “John Waters of the Boot Inn was charged with keeping his house open after eleven o’clock on Monday 25th ultimo, contrary to the laws respecting beerhouses”. There is a death record for Lionel Stone age 4, formerly of the Old Boot Inn, who died 23 Sept 1905. His parents William and Rosa Stone are recorded as living in Exeter Road in the 1891 Census.
|Commercial Inn, Exeter Hill
|Now Pony & Trap
|Renamed Pony & Trap in 1976 – Earliest record found 1878, on the same site as the Admiral Hawke
|Crown &Thistle, Cockpit Hill
|Earliest record found 1830, closed in about 1918. Now Hong’s Fish & Chip Shop
|Cullompton Hotel, Exeter Road
|Opened in 1930 and purpose built as a hotel and gentleman’s drinking club. Demolished in about 2000 and replaced by The Hayridge residential development.
|Devonshire Inn, Queen Square
|Located in Queens Square, the licence was revoked in 1903 and sold at auction converted to 4? cottages.
|Dolphin Inn, 28 Fore Street
|Earliest record found 1770 when it was referred to as The Dolphin Inn or New Inn. Licence was taken away in the 1920s as there were too many pubs in the town. Now Fudges Haberdashery
|Fountain Inn 14/16 Fore Street
|Licence held by Mr Foster since 1859 and before that by his Father for 30 years. A chemist’s business was also carried on in the premises. Now a barbers shop
|George Church, Lane or High Street
|Earliest record found in 1808 where it is described as being close to the Shambles, prior to 1808 it was known as the Commercial Inn but described as being in Church Lane . Listed in trade directories between 1830 and 1850 but classified as a “beer house” rather than an inn or tavern
|Golden Lion, Exeter Street
|Listed in 1844 with Thos Wescombe as landlord. The Wescombe family were landlords of the Bishops Blaize at about the same time. The only reference found to-date is in a newspaper article in the Western Times, dated 8th April 1843 relating to a murder which happened in 1831 where it is described as the “Golden Lion beer house”.
|Globe, 54 Fore Street
|Began life as the Salutation Inn which dates back to at least 1759, by 1808 it had been renamed the Globe Inn and was destroyed by fire in 1865. By 1889 it had reopened as the Globe Hotel. Cullompton Rugby Club bought the premises in 1970 and the supporters club was opened. They moved to new premises in December 1988. It was later converted into two shops which have both had a number of different tenants.
|Green Dragon, 3 Fore Street
|Earliest reference found is 1703, next door to the Half Moon, located where the Premier Shop now is.
|Half Moon, 1 High Street/Fore Street
|Coaching inn, earliest record found 1751, part was sold to the town and the current Town Hall is built on it. The remaining section is now XL Planning, 1 Fore Street. The Inn Included land in Middle Mill Lane and the cottages at 1-5 Middle Mill Lane were originally the quarters for the ostlers and other servants working at the inn. . Closed in the 1840s, probably due to the opening of the railway station.
|Half Moon, 24 Fore Street
|Earliest record found 1850, sold to Whitbreads in 1945 and is now the Hospiscare shop.
|Kings Head, Fore Street
|Earliest record found 1830 – Originally a coaching inn named after Charles II, became the Olive Well Restaurant in 2021
|King William, Fore Street
|Listed 1844-1851 as ‘beer house’ with William Hill as owner
|London Inn, 39-41 Station Road
|The Inn closed in 1912 and became two cottages, original address Low Street now known as Station Road.
|Manor House Hotel,
|Pretty much wholly of 1603 when it was rebuilt by Thomas Trock with just the ground-floor stage of the north wall facing onto Tiverton Road, surviving from the building that was there before a fire in 1602. When the north wall was stripped and partially rebuilt in 2015 it was found that the ground-floor stage survived from an earlier building on the site, and even retains some sooting on its inside face, presumably surviving from the fire in 1602.
In 1828 it was owned by William Upcott, a local cloth manufacturer, and then his son John Samuel Upcott, who continued the cloth business in Cullompton until 1868. He renamed it the Manor House in 1842.
During WW2 it was requisitioned by the army and officers were billeted here. The iron railings outside were removed as part of the war effort.
After the war the owners opened part of the house as a tea room. Mr Neville Jones and his wife ran it as a hotel in the 1950s and carried out a great deal of work to the property before moving to take over the Cullompton Hotel (now Heyridge Meadow)
|Market House, High Street
|Orignally the Bishops Blaize, assume it was renamed the Market House when the cattle market moved to Fore Street.
|Market House, Inn Fore Street
|Originally listed as being in Fore Street. Probable that the name moved to High Street when the market moved to High Street.
|Merry Harriers Westcott
|Earliest listing found 1878
|Listed 1878-1902, now Week Farm, Mutterton
|Pony & Trap, Exeter Hill
|Originally the Commercial Inn, it was renamed the Pony & Trap in 1976
|Railway Hotel, Station Road
|Became the Weary Traveller in 1990, was also previously known as the Showman
|Red Lion, High Street
|Coaching inn, earliest record found 1738, destroyed by fire in 1843. Located in the vicinity of Clarks Court.
|Rising Sun, Fore Street
|Corner of Fore Street and Church Street. Earliest record 1850, sold and converted to the YMCA in the 1930s, later became Community House and is now flats
|Three Mariners, Fore Street
|Earliest record 1769, 1839 Tithe map shows it to be in The Green, probably extended to Fore Street.
|Weary Traveller, Station Road
|Originally named the Railway Hotel, it dates from c.1852, renamed the Showman after the station closed in 1964 and became the Weary Traveller in 1990.
|White Hart, Fore Street
|Earliest record found 1723 – Originally a coaching inn, The shop next door, currently Hairmania, was originally part of the White Hart, but was sold in the 1850s