Fore Street (West side)

Here is some more information about the buildings on the west side of Fore Street

2. Manor House Hotel

4. Veryards

6. The Walronds

8. Merchant’s House
Cullompton’s showpiece houses are on the west side of Fore Street, south of the old Tiverton Road (now numbered nos 2, 6 and 8 Fore Street: the Manor House Hotel, The Walronds and Westerns, or the Merchant’s House respectively). All were built at various dates in the first decade of the seventeenth century, and research by Dr Jo Cox and Dr Anita Travers established that there was a fire in Cullompton in 1602 which must have destroyed their predecessors and led to the mass rebuilding.
Further research by Stuart Blaylock during repairs to the Manor House in 2015 established that parts of the earlier 16th century house survive in the north wall of the Manor House which accounts for the odd configuration of the projecting chimney breast rising only from first floor level.
Further work on Veryards, in 2016–17 established that this building also contains in its core the remains of an early 17th century house, albeit heavily disguised by 19th century refurbishment and refenestration
Veryards was incorporated into the Manor House Hotel in 1983–4, when it was purchased by the then owners Mr and Mrs Ron Peters, after the death of its long-standing 20th century owner Edwin Lawrence.
10.
Grade II Listed Building
No 10. 1844 Kellys – James Parker Boot & Shoe maker– also 1851 and 1861 Census
No. 12 1844 Kellys – John Baker Tailor (also 1851 Census)
1911 Census – Drapers, Bowermans
1939 Kellys David Martin Draper
Early Days, Cullompton Cleaners
Dave Edwards Bookmakers
12.10 and 12 were originally one shop and for a long time were a drapery. In 1861 John Bowerman is recorded as owning the property employing two girls and two boys in his draper’s shop (he had another shop further along Fore Street).
It later became Welch’s Ladies and Gents Wear, David Martin Outfitters and Eulay Ltd. The shop was eventually divided into two and No. 12 became Toogoods selling items such as costume jewellery, handbags and gifts.
14-16. A Cut Above barbers
Grade II Listed Building
Established in 1798 it was originally the Fountain Inn.

“There was a side window which overlooks Fore Street and the landlord would watch for the congregation coming out of the church on Sunday and have the pints of beer lined up on the bar by the time his regulars arrived at church”

In 1841 it belonged to the Foster family and later became known as Foster’s Chemists.
1911 Census – The Fountain Inn, Chemist Shop and Spirit Merchant (Foster)
1939 Kellys Murray Toogood Foster, pharmacist
Mr Nolan Trezise took over the pharmacy in the 1940s and was joined by Mr & Mrs Wickham in 1968.
Alliance Pharmacy
Moss Pharmacy
18. Miss Silhouette
Grade II Listed Building
1911 Census – Lester Archer tobacconist
1919 Kellys – Frank Wellington tobacconist
In the 1930s it was Wellingtons Sweet Shop and then it became an exclusive hat and gown shop run by Mrs Cole; her name was Lavina and so was the shop. The shop was later bought by Mr Trezise and then by Mr & Mrs Wickhan and became Prescotts
20. Vacant
Grade II Listed Building
1911 Census – Tailors Shop, Mr Nex
1939 Kellys – Wm Broom: Cabinet Maker
Bill Broom’s Furniture Shop – Once the premises of William Broom cabinetmaker, who also had a workshop in The Green, in what became the British Legion. He sold furniture and other bits and pieces here.
Ye Olde Tea Shop
22. Vacant
Grade II Listed Building
In 1871, 1881 and 1891 the Census shows it as belonging to John & Ann Budd Grocers
1911 Census – Miss Budd – boots and fancy goods
1939 Kellys – John Frost, tailor – He used to sit crossed legged on the floor making trousers etc.
It then became Phyll Sweet’s toy and china shop and then Mrs Saunders’ Toys and China. The business closed in the 1980s since when it has been a mobile phone shop and Streamers cards and sweets who moved across the street.
MDE Communications.
24. Hospice Care
Grade II Listed Building
From the 1840s it was the Half Moon Inn, probably not long after the Half Moon Inn on the opposite side of the road closed.
1911 Census Half Moon Inn (F Persey)
It was owner by the Persey family who also owned the Assembly Rooms behind. A succession of troops were stationed in Cullompton during WW2 and the soldiers were billeted throughout the town. The Assembly Rooms became their mess, while the mess kitchen was situated in The Green (where the British Legion Bowling Alley was).
The inn was sold to Whitbreads in 1945. It later became a textile shop called Forty Winks selling household textiles.
Tavy Textiles
The Assembly rooms later became the Masonic Hall where the town’s pantomimes were held every year. It was sold for conversion to residential in about 2015.
26. Pure Aesthetics
Grade II Listed Building
This was a grocers shop at least between 1861 and 1901.
1911 Census – ? and Fancy Shop – Miss Griffin
In the 1920s it was Cullompton Weavers run by Mrs Gidley who revived the hand weaving trade with a handloom at the back of the shop.
Mr Terry ran the shop for Mrs Gidley and it became Terry Weavers. In 1932 Mr Terry bought the shop and it became Terry’s Electrics
1939 Kellys – Mrs Millie Terry – ladies outfitters
1939 Kellys – William Terry – wireless dealer
In 1960 it became Acland’s Radio and TV. Mr Cowley was the manager and he later moved the business to larger premises.
It then became Westward Counties Insurance before being sold to Pure Aesthetics in 2021.
28.
Fudges Wool Shop
Originally the Dolphin Inn its licence was taken away in the 1920s as there were too many pubs in the town.
In 1903 it belonged to Messrs Starkey, Knight and Ford and the licensee told the Magistrates when applying for renewal of the licence that “he did not allow women to drink at the inn and did not encourage loose characters”
1911 Census – Dolphin Inn and stables (Mr J Nex)
1939 Kellys – Culm Valley Electric Supply Company
1939 Kellys – Tancock & Co Builders
Joe Tancock’s Ironmongery
Bolham Dry Cleaners
Co-op
Cullompton General Store
Gone Bananas
30.
Veysey Butchers

Grade II Listed Building
1844 Kellys – William Veals butcher (and 1851 Census)
1861 Census – George Bennett, butcher
1871 Census – John Hornsey butcher
1878-9 Alfred Veysey, butcher (then Alfred Veysey from then onwards)
1911 Census Mr Veysey – Butchers Shop
1939 Kellys – Veysey Butchers
There was a slaughter house at the back of the shop but it eventually became uneconomic to slaughter their own cattle so this was closed in 1999. Until that time Veysey’s had slaughtered all the meat for themselves and Culm Meat Supply on the opposite side of the road.
 1911 Census – China Shop Miss Stark
32. Hannah’s Cards & Sweets
Grade II Listed Building
John Knight is recorded as living here in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 Census.
1911 Census – Drapers Shop, Miss Humphrey
1939 Kellys – Mabel Stoddart, dairy
Sharland’s dairy
Tipples
Kingdom Drapers and Dry Cleaners
Gone Bananas
J & L Cosmetics
Murray’s Fruit and Veg
34 & 36
Post Office Delivery Office
Originally a double-fronted shop. In 1841 it was a drapery and remained as such for many years
1911 Census – Bowermans, Furniture Shop, China and Glass
In 1937 it became the Post Office
1939 Kellys – Arthur Webb, Postmaster and stamp distributor
38. Vacant1891 – George Brooks Ironmongers
1901 – Ellicott’s Bakers. Where bread and cakes were baked on site. It was a thriving business until the 1970s
1901 Edgar Ellicott Bakers & confectioners (also 1902, 1914 & 1919 Kellys)
1911 Census – Ellicott, bakers shop
1939 Kellys – Edgar Ellicott & Son Bakers
Lawes Electrical
Jumping Frogs
Peggy’s Pantry
40. Vacant1844 Kellys – John Benham Watch & Clock maker (also 1851 & 1861 Census)
1871 Census – Edmund Bond general shopkeeper and fire insurance
In the 1930s it was the private residence of the Ellicott family who ran the bakery next door, they paid £50 a year rent
Taylor’s China and Glass of Taunton opened in the 1970s and it later became Dave Edwards Bookmakers until they moved further up the street.
42.In 1944 the tenant was L Murray who was also the tenant of no. 44
1939 Kellys – Leonard Murray, hairdresser, in the 1950s this was Murrays’s Barbers with a ladies hairdressers upstairs. It later became Mr Vile’s Barbers and then had a variety of tenants before being merged with No. 48?
44.
46. Alfies1844 Kellys – Thomas Hart Baker and Auctioneer (also 1851 Census)
Wm Hellier was the tenant in 1944
48. AlfiesIn 1851 it belonged to John Benham, clock and watchmaker and by 1881 it had become Devon Stores owned by Thomas Purchase.
1939 Kellys – George Luxton & Sons Home Furnishers (and Cockpit Hill)
Kelly Luxton’s Furniture Shop then Welsh’s Furniture Store. It was divided in two and became David Broom Drapers from the mid 1970s until Mr & Mrs Broom retired in 1999.
50. Pring & Sons Funeral DirectorsIn 1841 this was a bakers and continued to be a bakers until 2005 when it was purchased by the Crossley family.
1851 – Thos Hart
1881 – 1901 – Agnes Paisley
1939 Kellys – Herbert William Bailey – Baker
Bailey’s Bakers Shop
1952 Grants Bakery
Culm Vale Bakery
Crossley’s Funeral Directors
52. Istanbul BarbersOriginally part of the Globe Inn it was converted into two shops.
1939 Kellys – Carter Hairdresser
Applegates off-licence
Weigh-it
Sue Ryder Charity Shop
Hospice Charity Shop
54. Lily PadsBegan life as the Salutation Inn which dates back to at least 1759, by 1808 it had been renamed the Globe Inn and later became the Globe Hotel. During the 1930s the Labour Exchange was downstairs and this was where people signed on.
Cullompton Rugby Club bought the premises in 1970 and the supporters club was opened. Cullompton Rugby Club moved to its new premises in December 1988.
911 Census – Globe Hotel, stables and garage
1939 Kellys – Partridge, Cockram, Penny and Harward – Solicitors
1939 Kellys Globe Inn
Pet Shop
Options
Bike Shop 
56/58 Rhi-StyleOriginally two shops it became one when Mr Cowley moved his electrical shop here in about 1970. In the 1930s one shop sold wallpaper etc. and was run by Mr Gardner and the other shop was Cullompton Weavers, which was run by Mrs Batten who sold knitted clothes and had a workshop at the back.
1911 Census – Auctioneers Office – W J Thorne
1939 Kellys – Arthur Hellier fruiterer; Arthur Hellier was also a prominent Cullompton cricketer.
Tom Ottoway Fruit & Veg
In the 1970s the shop was taken over by Mr Knowles who had been a farmer at Paulsland Farm, on the outskirts of Cullompton. He ran it as a Farm Shop before it was taken over by Liz and Brian Wakely who later moved to 62.
1911 Census Watchmakers, D H Stevens
60. MagpiesIn 1891 this was a furniture shop and in 1901 the Census records show Lester Archer, tobacconist was living here. The property was rebuilt by Mr Reynolds and in 1911 it was taken over by Mr & Mrs Easterbrook who sold sweets and tobacco.
1911 Census – Mrs Andrews? Sweets and tobacconist
1939 Kellys – Edith Easterbrook tobacconist
Haircraft
62. No 1 Lash & BrowsIn 1851 this was a butcher’s shop owned by John Read, in 1891 it appears to have become Alfred Batten’s butchers shop. In 1901 Sarah Ann Budd, grocer and shopkeeper is registered as living here.
1911 Census – Batten Bros – Cycle shop
1939 Kellys – Batten Bros Cycle Dealers
Maynards Cycle Shop
Culm Florist
Crossley & Son undertakers
Nanna’s Toy Chest from 2006
64. Henna Peacock1911 Census – Harness makers shop
In the 1930s this was Rossiter’s Chemist and by 1962 it was
E E Langdon’s Chemist with Mr Nolan Trezise running the pharmacy.
Nikki’s Hair Salon
Dynamix Hair Salon
66/66a Phone Converters66a was originally a private house, the home of Mr & Mrs Mingo who farmed at the bottom of Middle Mill Lane. It later became Saunders’ Newsagents until about 1996. It was Patch Pocket until the early 2000s.
1911 Census – Battens Butchers shop
In the 1930s this was Battens Butchers with all the carcasses hanging outside. It later became Vicary’s Newsagents and then Mrs Saunders took it over in about 1976, though she later moved next door.
It has also been a taxi office and second hand book shop.