Here is some more information about the buildings on the east side of High Street
|1 . Cullompton Town Hall
|Cullompton Parish Council held its first meeting on 31 December 1894 when it took over from the Parochial Committee. The present Town Hall, originally known as the Parish Rooms, was built in 1903 to replace an existing building that was originally part of the Half Moon Inn and Coaching House. The Council decided to rename it as the Town Hall in 1995 but it still looks very much as it did in the 1930s.
Until WW2 the fire-engine was housed in a section at the front of the building with access directly onto High Street. During WW2 the Town Hall became a first-aid post.
|3. The Bakehouse
|Originally a private house, in the 1930s it was Fare & Son Grocers, the floorboards were covered in sawdust and the provisions counter was on the right. On the left was a counter with big square tins of biscuits all along the front and customers could pick out whatever they wanted. It later became Proberts, High Class Grocers and Delicatessen run by Mr and Mrs Probert (whose son Gerry opened an Estate Agency in what is now Seddons) in the 1960s. The business was later taken over and became a bakery making exceptionally good bread and patisserie.
|In the 1930s this was a sweetshop run by a family called Cook who also had an interest in the cinema opposite. It was also R & M Ward, Sweets, Chocolates and Tobacco. It was later taken over by the Brown family and run as a sweetshop with a wholesale business next door. The business was acquired by Norman Young and was later taken over by his son Richard Young, the shop eventually closed and the premises used as a wholesale business.
|At one time it belonged to Mr & Mrs Hallett who sold gloves, but by 1977 it was called F Brown Wholesale (see above) before becoming Oakley’s Accountants and then being converted back to a private residence.
|9. Culm Florists
|In the 1930s this was National Westminster Bank with Mr Ellis as Manager. It was really just a big private house with the bank making use of a couple of rooms on the ground floor. The property had a large rear garden with a tennis court, orchard area, and lawns and was owned by the Trevenen family. At the end of the war Mr and Mrs Trevenen invited Marjorie Chapman (nee Harding) and her husband to use the rooms at the top of the house as their first home They had a strict rota for the use of the bathroom and kitchen. The arrangement worked well for 2 or 3 years when Mr & Mrs Chapman moved out.
It was later transformed into a cake shop and tea rooms known as Pat’s Pantry. It was then purchased by the owners of Clark’s Motors and the front was converted in to a car showroom and later became the Bike Zone and then Culm Florist. The garden was tarmacked over to provide a link from the High Street to the rear of the old Police Station to the major part of Clark’s Motors.
|11. Thorne & Carter
|A former building on this site was transformed by public subscription in 1849 to become a Town Hall and Sessions House (Court House) and Lock-up. It was sold to Devon County Council to be used solely as a Police Station in 1870 and the Council used the money from the sale to purchase another building further along High Street which was formerly part of the Half Moon Inn, where judges stopped in coaching days on their way to the Assizes, as a new Town Hall.
A new building was constructed in 1898 and there is an inscription around the clock face of 1898. The Land on the north side was purchased from Mr Alfred Thomas Batten for the erection of a garage to accommodate the police patrol vehicle and the resident police sergeant’s car. There was accommodation for the resident sergeant who always lived on-site. There were cells in the building so that troublemakers could be charged and put in the cells instead of being taken to Exeter.
In 1974 the opening of the new motorway required more officers and a new Police Station was completed. In 1976 Alfie Dolbear bought the premises from the Police for £12,500 and opened “Alfie’s Bargains”. He lived with his family in the back of the building. The Police retained ownership of the clock after the building was sold and continued to keep it working for many years .
Thorne & Carter purchased the building in 2000 and the clock is still in situ although it no longer shows the correct time.
|13. Moments and Clarks Court
|Originally the site of the Red Lion which was destroyed by fire in March 1843, it later Loudswill Carriage Works which also went up in flames in March 1909. It then became a garage originally known as Cullompton Garage and owned by Batten Bros. The garage was bought by Mr J A Isaac, on his death in 1955 his widow sold the property to the Thomas Brothers, when it was renamed Clark’s Motors. The business was later sold to Eric Galliver and following his death the site was put on the market. It lay derelict for several years before being sold to McCarthy Stone.
|15/17. Baptist Church and Old Manse
|Built in 1743 and almost entirely renewed in 1858. During the 1870s the church decided to expand to cope with the growing Sunday School and a new schoolroom was completed in 1883.
The church was gifted two adjoining gardens in 1887 by the local solicitor and philanthropist Fredrick Burrows. These were used to establish the Burrows Trust which is still providing funds for the church to-day. His generous gift enabled the church to use the rent from this ground to make further improvements to the fabric of the building.
During WW2 the schoolroom was used in the war effort and functioned as a YMCA canteen and centre for the armed services based around Cullompton. The Manse was completed in 1906 and was built on the garden land at a cost of £453. In 1977 a new manse was built in Manitoba Gardens and the Manse was sold to the Campbell family in 1977/78 Jock Campbell ran his solicitor’s practice from here until he retired in 1994.
|19. Derelict site
|Earland Coach Works was between the Baptist Church and the Market House Inn. It later became Smalls Animal feed and seed merchants and was converted into two shops units in about 2003. It was destroyed by fire and is currently a derelict site.
|25. The Bays Dental Practice
|In the 1930s it was a private house where Miss Hope Cole, a school teacher lived.
|Originally a private house, it has been used as offices for several companies. In the 1950s it was the offices of Ford & Sons decorators and plumbers. Honeycomb Animations arrived in 2000 and was the home of a well know cartoon cat called “Binka”.
|Originally a private house it became Thorne & Baker Auctioneers, Valuers and Estate Agents and later Thorne & Carter Estate Agents before being divided into separate units.
|31. Salon 31
|Previously Susan’s Hair Boutique it was also Miss Paul’s Bakers and Chorley-Hallett Grocers. In the 1960s the shop belonged to Mr Holly who was renowned for selling the best bacon in town. It became a clothes shop in the 1980s before becoming a hairdressers.
|33-35. Olive Well
|Originally the Kings Head, a coaching inn named after Charles II part of the pub was once the library (33 High Street). In 1903 an objection was received for the renewal of the licence because the landlord had been fined for keeping open his premises during prohibited hours. The then landlord, Mr Darch, told the court that he had been in the house for 15 years, it was always full on market days and sometimes he had 30 horses in the yard. He had 10 or 11 soldiers and horses billeted on him.
There is a story that the pub was haunted by a US airman who was stabbed in the public bar and has been back to haunt the pub on a number of occasions.
The section on the corner of Higher Mill Lane was Mrs Graves’ game, rabbit and poultry shop, in the 1950s this section was used as the public library.
|37. Alan’s fish and chip shop
|In the 1930s this was International Stores and then Mr Mills Grocer and Fishmonger.
|Private house occupied by the Land family and demolished to widen the junction with Station Road