The Red Lion, High Street

Principal coaching inn and excise office located in the vicinity of, what is now, Culm Florists and Clarks Court.  Listed in the 1790 Universal British Directory, Pigots Trade Directory 1823 and the Tithe Map 1839 It is also mentioned in the reports of the 1839 fire and is listed in the 1841 Census . It was destroyed by fire in 1843.

Timeline for The Red Lion

DateSource
1738Joan Hayman apprenticed to Thomas Panill the younger for the Red Lion and Watsons groundDevon Records Office
2404A/PO/91/5
8th May 1740At a Vestry Meeting held by adjournment at ye house of Red Lyon May ye 8th 1740 it was agreed as follows
Firstly, that all the moneys now in ye hands of ye late Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor shall be paid into the hands of Mr. John Finnemore & Mr. William Brown to be disposed of by them as follows –
(Viz) That they shall as soon as conveniently they can lay out the same in Wool Oyl Dyestuff and other Materials for ye making of serges & dungals or any other Woollen Manufacture
That ye sd Materials be delivered from time to time to ye Master or Governor of the Workhouse to be by him delivered to such persons as have relief from the said parish & are named in the Poor Books thereof – to be worked up by them as ye sd Governor shall order
That the said sd Master or Governor shall the first Munday in every month give a true acct to the Parishioners or such as they shall appoint of what he shall do in the Premises
It is also agreed that ye present Overseers of the Poor shall collect four years to ye Poor Rate in ye first collection & pay thereout one years of 700 wch has been borrowed for ye purchase of Lands for a Workhouse & building ye same
It is also agreed that ye second collection of ye Poores Rates shall be four years & that £100 shall be paid thereout towards ye purchasing & building ye house aforesaid
It is further agreed ye Mr. Jno Finnemore & Mr. Wm Brown shall be personally rewarded for their pains herein
1768Sarah Wright apprenticed to John Salter for Red LionDevon Records Office
2404A/PO/115/8
1768Presentment against Parish of Cullompton for non-repair of highway (c.200 yards) from the Bullring in Cullompton to the Red Lion Inn.  True bill Quashed
(Mid Summer 1768)
Devon Records Office
QS/4/1768/Easter/PR/29
1779Joseph Mills, the younger, (born 1 August 1771) apprenticed to Richard Butt for the Red Lion tenement by consentDevon Records Office
2404A/PO/125/13
8/9 Oct
1782
Marriage Settlement (lease and release)
… and William Brown of Cullompton (on the marriage of John Fowler and Jane Culverwell) Premises Messuage or tenement called Pratts in Cullompton opposite the Red Lion Inn, bounded on the west by Perriwig Lane
Devon Records Office
4244M/T/3/11
1790“Two stage coaches, one for Bath and the other for Bristol go through every morning, except Sunday, at seven o’clock, return every evening about five, and stop at the Half Moon Inn.  ….
The Principal inns are the White Hart, kept by Joseph Nosworthy, the Half Moon by Lucas Pulsford and the Red Lion by Robert Frost.  The latter inn is the excise office, and that at which the wagons put up”
Universal British Directory
1796Ann Critchett apprenticed to Robert Frost for the Red Lion by consentDevon Records Office
2404A/PO/142/4
1807Abigail Bowden apprenticed to Robert Frost for the Red LionDevon Records Office
2404A/PO/115/8
1822Red Lion Tavern/Inn Landlord: Robert FrostPigot’s Trade Directory
1832Thomas Tibbett 10 apprenticed to Robert Frost, yeoman, for Hoopers, Red Lion and other landsDevon Records Office
2404A/PO/180/12
1839
Tithe Map

Land owned and occupied by John Frost Jnr (Plot No. 2515), described as Red Lion Inn, Garden and Orchard
7th July 1839“Valuable properties near White Hart Houses in the neighbourhood of the White Hart were observed on fire, at a distance of full a quarter of a mile from the spot where the flames first broke out. In this neighbourhood, between the above Inn and the Red Lion, the property is very valuable, and the exertions of the West Middlesex engine were directed to its preservation”First report of the fire, based on information from Capt. Cumming when he returned to Exeter with the West of England fire brigade the following morning
1841 CensusMary Frost, 60, Publican
John Frost, 25,
Jane Baker, 15,
Benjamin Baker, 14
Thos Pearce, 60
Thos Hannibus, 15
Hannah Tozer, 20
Sarah Carpenter, 15
1842The Red Lion Inn was put up for sale in 1842.
Inn, Malthouse and brewery situate in the most open and public part of the High Street, late in the occupation of Mr John Frost Jnr deceased …. The excise yard has been kept at the inn for many years ….  stabling for 40 horses in spacious yard behind the inn
Exeter Flying Post
11 March 1843On Monday morning last a fire broke out at the Red Lion, Cullompton, which burned with great fury for some time, consuming the premises and those adjoining.  There are eleven dwelling-houses and cottages destroyed; the whole property is insured in the Yorkshire and Farmers offices.  Owing  to the great exertions of the West of England Company’s brigade of fireman the Half Moon Inn was preservedWoolmer’s  Gazette
21 March 1909

 Loudwills Carriage Works in High Street and storage sheds in Station Road went up in flames on the same night.  Both properties belonged to the West of England Trading Company whose Managing Director was Charles Reynolds of Lavington House, Cullompton.  Mr Reynolds was later charged with arson for this and several other fires.  He was found guilty, sentenced to five years in prison, he died in prison.
Loudwills was on the site of the Red Lion (13 High Street)